Saturday 13 May 2017

From Police to Palazzo in Padova, and why I don't care.it isn't Venice.



A long time ago I was rescued by an 18 year old young lady who believed in Paying it Forward.  Do good things before you yourself need assistance.

Our Tour Guide had her handbag stolen when we returned to Firenze.  Everything was in it, address, house keys, money, cards, and all the irreplaceable little things that mean much to themselves.  We went to the railway police (apparently females get treated more seriously if they have a man with them!).  We were told that at 9 pm there was no-one of sufficient rank to take a statement.  So I took her for a taxi home, (I paid), a small meal (I paid).  A relative arrived with a key.  She had some spare money in her flat, and together we went to the Questera of the Firenze Police where an animated statement was taken.  She then sent the taxi to my hotel before going home herself at 2 in the morning.

Next day, I travelled to Venezia.  I did not know it, but it was the first week of Biennale, and all hotels were full.  My hotel had double booked and I had nowhere to go.  They wouldn't even open the door to me!  So, what to do?  There was a student next to me, and he offered me a corner of his very small room.  There wasn't even room to lay my suitcase flat.  He suggested getting out of Venice, and after many phone calls including to the lady in Florence whom I had helped.  Between them, they found a country hotel, and a Palazzo in the town.  When they told me the rates, almost the same as my Venice Hotel.  I chose the palazzo with some trepidation.  my heavy bag was carried by the student and we caught the train to Padua, where the owner of the Palazzo was waiting to take us to where we were to stay (It was for me, but I let him stay for the first night)  I include some photos of the Nobleman's floor, where I stay in solitude, in one of four bedrooms, two  bathrooms, a music room with a grand piano, the largest drawing room I have ever seen. (It has three three seat couches, other chairs and furniture, and a dining table for eight. In the same room!

 Did I mention the two twin basin ensuites?) and the vast kitchen.  Most of the paintings are genuine, including geuine including a Mantegna.  I've included photos.  They don't do it Justice.  All just 200 metres away from the greatest collection of Giottos in the World!








No comments:

Post a Comment