Tuesday 16 May 2017

All things bright and beautiful

Those people who know me well, know that I tend to steer clear of advertising, but I think you should know something about the kind people who rescued me,

Francesca and Philippo and the amazing Palazzo that they own right in the middle of the old part of Padova (Padua)  You've seen the inside in my previous blog posting and they also have a website http://palazzoaltinatenotedipiano.it, or something like it.  Google Palazzo Altinate di Piano, Padova.  The reason I mention it in such selling terms is because I've discovered some of Padova.  Just round the corner is the place to see Giottos.  They are amazing!  But they are not crowded!  The town is about the size of Hornsby, and Venice if you should want to see it (and it's vastly overrated) is shoulder to shoulder, and about 40km away  A bit like the difference between beautiful Berowra and Circular Quay. Also round the corner is by far the best gelataria I've ever been to, and tried Calendula, Licorice, and Butter and Rosemary, three fantastic flavours.  If anyone fancies a stay near Venice for up to seven with one able to play a grand piano, count the Sidebothams in.  It could be one hell of a party!  Enough of the ads.  You can read their website.

On the last evening I was invited to a family evening meal.  Five of us had the local Veneto wine (2 bottles), some brandy, and some port, and to go with that a magnificent Chicken Caesar Salad (thanks Philippo!) with home made dressing and cherry tomatoes, and a bowl of olives.  The tomatoes were differently coloured.  I found a black one, but it turned out to be an olive.  These were all handled digitally.  For afters, there were fresh strawberries with a vinaigrette of good pure virgin olive oil, and a SWEET balsamic vinegar.  It was amazing!

I have to say, after all my years of globe trotting, the best two places of accommodation were the Hotel Morandi alla Crocetta in Florence, and the Palazzo Altinate which was a self catering giant apartment, both originally built in the Sixteenth Century.

I left earlier than expected because it was a Sunday, and I was worried about railway works, and in the end I sat at Santa Lucia station for about five hours amongst the horrible Venetian crowds.  But I hate goodbyes, so I hope Francesca's family will forgive me for leaving quickly. I hope that one day we will be able to meet up again.

Then came the railway journey, which turned out to be eventful.  See next blog entry)

Now I've got to Veroeffentlichen, so here goes.  Thanks Google!  I'm dreading Prague!

No comments:

Post a Comment