Tuesday 1 July 2014

Minimalism, or not?


A few years ago, I found out that I was one eighth Manx, and I am, naturally, disproportionately proud of my ancestry in the Isle of Man.  I have a Manx flag in my library, for instance.


I first travelled to the island with two of my oldest and dearest friends, Marie and Kevin.  Kevin is something of a birdwatcher, and his excuse for coming with me was so that he could see the rare chough.  In the event we found him dozens of the things.  At the Calf of Man it was wall to wall choughs.

I was very much a learner photographer in 2005.  My view was that Photoshop and photography were not the same thing, and if you couldn't do it in the darkroom or with Picasa, it probably wasn't worth doing.  I was a photographer, not a Photoshopper!

The day we visited the Sound and the Calf of Man, the wind was high, the rain was horizontal, and I was taking record shots (although in those days that's all I could do!).  The sun came out through a gap in the clouds, but of course, it was completely burned out.

A few minutes later, we got one of the finest sunsets I think I've ever seen.


In the far distance you can see the Mountains of Mourne in Northern Ireland.  The Isle of Man is unique in the British Isles in that all four countries, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales are visible from Snaefell, the highest point of Mannin.  

I've got several pics of this scene, but again, if you look closely, there is still some burning.

I continued snapping away even after the sun had gone down, so that I was getting the rose colour reflected by the clouds.


Not a very interesting shot, but a seagull was flying past.  This photograph is now nine years old, and I have learnt a lot about post processing using "Elements" in that time.  So I cropped the shot into letterbox format, and upped the saturation a bit, and played around to see what I could get.


I call it "Dirty night in the Irish Sea"

I don't know, it might be a bit too bright, but is it minimalist?  I think it is, with the three main elements of the dark and light clouds, punctuated by the mountains and the seagull.  It reminds me a lot of that blustery showery unpleasant evening but does it have the same effect on others?  I'd value your comments.




No comments:

Post a Comment