Wednesday 11 September 2019

Why Christianity?



Recently, I've been reading and writing about my home town in England.

Although Tewkesbury should be well known for many things, above all it is famous for its old Abbey. 

Parts of the Abbey are ancient and go back to its consecration in 1121.  Above anything else, Tewkesbury is well known for its Abbey.  In fact Tewkesbury exists mainly because it was the "service area", the supplier of the Abbey.  Christianity has ruled the town over the last  nine hundred years because of its wonderful philosophy of improving people's morality.  Turning the bad into good.  This is not to say that everyone is saintly.  There would be no need for Laws if everyone was good.  The Ten Commandments would be more than enough to improve people's lives.
In other words, if I can stay fit enough, I shall see if I can endure that huge flight (a day AND a night in the air - about 24 hours!) and attend the 900th Commemoration of its Consecration in 2021.
And yet, even with that potential morality, there have been bad men at Tewkesbury.  A traitor, a rapist, a pirate.  Someone who was hanged drawn and quartered.  And that's only one person from one family!
But there were many many good, tolerant people from Tewkesbury, who chose to ignore the Quakers and Baptists a century before the Act of Tolerance in 1689.  And sadly, many Christian warriors who chose to fight the Crusades.
Those people were Christian because they had all been welcomed into the Church by Christening, or Baptism at a very young age indeed, long before a child was capable of comprehending anything, let alone the tenets of a complex religion.  Good, in the name of Christ does not ring true to me, even though I have a clergyman as a brother-in-law, and I am apparently very distantly related through marriage to a Saint!
Think of it like this.


Say I want to go from the centre of London to the centre of Birmingham.  I could walk, ride a bicycle, a horse, ride in a car, a taxi, or a train, or even an aeroplane, or combinations of these.  I could, thanks to the Grand Union canal, even travel by barge!  If I were in the centre of London, and wished to travel to the centre of Birmingham, I could get there by any modes of transport I chose.  They would all get me there.  Some would be more expensive, slower, more inconvenient, but all would take me from Piccadilly Circus to Chamberlain Square.
And that, I suppose is the source of my doubt.  Can we, as Christians, as Muslims, as Jews, as Buddhists, Hindus, and every other philosophy, criticise each other, when a believer in a car, cannot and will not see that a train may be as good, or do the job properly.  Because religious people, by the nature of their religion believe absolutely in their faith, everyone else MUST be wrong.

Trains?  They're dirty!  Why don't I give you a lift in my car?  My son's been in the back seat - move all his rubbish to the other side.  You'll have to excuse the toffee papers, my daughter has a sweet tooth, and she will NOT take the wrappers away with her.  The car believer thinks his car is clean, just as the train believer ignores the ten minute delays at Milton Keynes and Coventry which makes the train twenty minutes late.

Who is right?  Maybe everyone is, in their own way
Who is wrong?  Maybe everyone is, in their own way.

That's why, if I'm asked my religion, I answer "Undecided"


No comments:

Post a Comment