Saturday 17 June 2017

A Tale of Two Cafes - Part Deux

As I drank my pastis I reflected that I had found a good place to eat; that I only had 65 euros in my pocket; that I had already spent some of that sum on pastis; that I was about to spend 39 euros on their signature seafood shellfish dish; and that I had better put down the wine list with as much faded grandeur as possible - "but don't you find that white wine overpowers the delicacy of sea food?  I prefer sparkling water - Perrier from choice.  I believe it allows the whelks to BREATHE"

What I didn't know was that I was eating in the oldest cafe in Paris which has its own Wikipedia page ; that I would recite a fable by La Fontaine off by heart; that I would gain some wine, lose an oyster, and listen to La Fontaine as it should be listened to; and wear out my semi colon key.  In the process I would make two friends, one on Facebook, one not, who were from Toulouse and who were celebrating their Fourth Anniversaire.

And so to Gabriel and Florianne, mes felicitations on your Anniversaire; mes condolences for joining in son Anniversaire, (it wasn't me to blame but Florianne and her passion for large oysters.

I was only the catalyst.

The waiter led me to my table.  There was a hard seat, and opposite, a soft banquette, a sofa that continued past several tables.  Florianne was sitting next to me, and opposite, on a hard chair, was Gabriel, who had obviously spent much thought and time on the planning of the evening's proceedings, alas, without taking my possible presence into account.

Fortunately pour moi, both Florianne and Gabriel were from Toulouse, a town known for its love of Concorde.

Fin de Part Deux
End of Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment